Big Tree: Instructions
The Big Tree project is open to any R-P312 man who wishes to contribute his NGS results. It's free. This project is one of many that relies on the open sharing of BigY or FGC results. These tests are useful only when the data is compared to those of other men.
There are two ways to send me your data:
- E-mail your files to me directly (scotsgenealogy (at) gmail.com). Details of what to e-mail can be found below. Please don't forget to let me know your kit number.
- I routinely scan the BigY and FGC upload folders of the R-P312, R-L21, R-DF27 and R-U152 Yahoo Groups. This is the easiest way for me to get your data. It's free to join these groups, and upload your data. For R-L21 men, you can also e-mail your BigY results to M.W. Walsh (mwwdna (at) gmail.com), administrator of the R-L21 FTDNA Project, who can take care of uploading your results for you. If you upload your data to one of these projects, please don't e-mail it to me as well.
For the BigY, the files I need are the "Raw Data" files. This consists of a .BED and .VCF file which can be downloaded from the BigY results page. They come as one .zip file, which is about 300kB or so in size. Please don't extract the files from the .ZIP archive, leave them as they come.
Should you decide to upload them to a Yahoo project or e-mail them to me, the common format for labelling the file is:
The surname that appears in the filename is the surname I'll use with your kit number on the tree. You can always e-mail me to make changes.
Your "Raw Data" is downloaded from your FTDNA page. After you sign in click on the link for your "Big Y Results".
Now click the blue "Download Raw Data" button in the upper right corner of the window.
Finally click the green "Download VCF" button in the windows the opens.
This will prompt you to save the .zip file to your computer. Please don't modify this file before uploading it or e-mailing it.
Big Y BAM File
The BAM file for BigY results is accessed in much the same way as the raw, VCF data. By first contacting FTDNA via https://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx#contactForm you can request access to the BAM file for your results. This file is the true raw data for the BigY test. It is a large file, generally about 1GB or so in size, and you need special software to read it. I generally don't need your BAM file, but it is useful to refer to for some situations. If you have it available, please forward the link to me. If you are submitting your BigY data to FullGenomes or YFull for further analysis, they will also need access to your BAM file.
The FGC "Interpretation Results" can be shared in a number of ways. Just as for the BigY results above, I prefer that they are uploaded to a Yahoo group rather than being e-mailed directly to me, but I will accept either. If you need to download the results to share them, the instructions are:
- Log into your FGC account.
- Click on "My Profile" at the top if you are not already on that page.
- Under the Results heading, find your name, and below that click the "Interpretation Results" link.
Alternatively, if your haplogroup is R-L21, you can share your results with the R-L21 researchers from within the FGC website by sharing them with "email@example.com". If you're not R-L21, you can still share your results directly with me by using "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Instead of clicking on "Interpretation Results", click the blue button labelled "Share Kit".
- A new window will open. Enter the e-mail address "email@example.com" in the box.
- Click the blue "Share Kit" button.
I have started to collect haplotype data for those men on the tree, but I have not started to use it yet. For now, I am only interested in the FTDNA Y-STR results, and not any that can be extracted from NGS tests. I intend to occasionaly download the STR data from the major FTDNA haplogroup projects. Should you decide to e-mail me your Y-STR results, please send them to me as plain text as if copy and pasted from a FTDNA results webpage. For example, my own would be: